BOOK TWO

25.2.07

In the City that never sleeps 7

I was instantly awake. It was that weird state of hyper awareness that comes when you wake up cold in the middle of the night knowing something isn’t right. My hand snaked under my pillow and curled around the lightsaber I been keeping there. I lay as still as I could and listened. I could hear nothing, but I knew that someone was in the flat; I felt a presence as sure as I felt the weapon I was clutching. I fought to slow my racing heart and opened myself up to the force which flowed around me like sand across the ground in a storm. I searched the flat with my mind and when I found the reason I had woken up I let out a silent sigh of relief.

Thrawn moved through his own home as though he were the intruder not the owner. He walked so quietly I would have had no idea where he was if I could not sense him through the force. When he reached the bedroom I was no longer holding my lightsaber.

“You can turn on the light, I’m not asleep.” I said as he walked silently across the wooden floor. He had taken his shoes off, it made me smile. He didn’t turn the bedroom light on, instead he switched on the one in the bathroom so that it illuminated the bedroom just enough for him not to bang into the bed the way I always did but not enough to make me squint. He didn’t actually need to turn any lights on, so I was pretty sure this was for my benefit.

“I didn’t want to wake you.” He told me as he came to the edge of the bed and undressed.

I looked up at him; he had his back to me. “That happened the moment you entered the flat.”

“I should have known, I suppose.” He said. “You really are quite scary, you know.” He teased but he sounded tired. The light from the bathroom was soft, illuminating the outline his body as he stripped off his clothes. I longed to reach out and touch him but the sharp state of being awake had shifted back into a warm doziness and I couldn’t be bothered to move. I yawned.

He got up, went to the bathroom, closed the door and the room was plunged back into the usual darkness. I rolled back over onto my side and curled around the bantha toy. I heard Thrawn come out of the bathroom, but he had turned off the light before he opened the door. I felt him pull aside the covers and get into bed. He spooned himself around me, my back to his front, his arm curled around my waist, stopping when his hand touched synthetic fur.

“Is there something you want to tell me, sj’iu tekari?” he murmured in my ear.

“That’s Runi’.” I answered. “Shiv and the gang’s birthday gift to me.” I said. I rolled over onto my back making him do the same. I pulled Runi’ out from under the sheets and dumped him on Thrawn’s chest. He gave a little laugh as he took the toy and looked at him.

“A very accurate likeness of a Bantha.” He said, appreciatively.

“It’s too dark to see him that clearly.”

I felt him look at me and I felt his eyebrow go up. “My dear, I keep telling you, Chiss have excellent night vision.”

I stuck my tongue out at him and he chuckled. “I saw that as well.” He said. “I take it he was my substitute while I was gone?” He added.

“I wasn’t sleeping well.” I told him by way of answer, settling down again. He was quiet for a long moment, staring at the Bantha balanced on his chest.

“As in nightmares or as in working too much or maybe just staying up far too late with Shiv watching too much HoloNet?”

“Nightmares.”

“This has to do with what happened after Bespin?” He asked. “I sensed there was something you were not telling me in your last letter.”

I nodded. “It was bad.” I said.

He shifted a little to look at me. He patted the bantha on his chest. “Can I put your little friend here on the floor?” He asked. “Or will he be offended?”

“Banthas generally don’t like being cooped up, so he’ll probably be happier on the floor.” I said as I shifted so that one leg slung across his hips and my arm across his chest. I rested my head in the hollow his shoulder made for me, feeling him move as he put Runi’ down beside the bed. Then he wrapped the arms around me. I breathed him in deeply, hardly believing that he was here. He smelled like spice and soap. He ran his fingers through my hair.

“Do you want to talk about it?” He asked.

“The Emperor found out about my talent for reading objects.” I said bluntly and quickly, as though saying fast would make it go away.

He let out a slow breath. A ripple of anger flashed through him and I could feel it when he clenched his jaw. “What did he use to test you?” There was a strange tightness in his voice.

“Something terrible and if it’s okay with you I’d rather not talk about it in the dark.”

He pulled me closer to him as if that could protect me from what had already happened. “When you are ready, I will listen.”

“I am so glad you are back.” I told him looking up at him.

“I know you are.” He answered quietly. Something in his voice made me look up at him. I could see his eyes, a soft red glow in the dimly lit bedroom. He kissed me on the forehead in that wonderful manner he had which said, you are mine, I am here so you are safe, and I am quite tired so can we please just go to sleep now? I just closed my eyes and for the first time since returning from Wayland I slept the rest of the whole night through.

I woke up late, sunlight streamed into the bedroom, dancing through the gauzy white curtains which shifted in the little breeze coming through the open window. I was alone in the bed except for the stuffed bantha which occupied the side of the bed Thrawn slept on. It made me smile. I got up, slipped on a robe and made my way to the kitchen where I was handed a cup of creamy stimcaf with a smile that made my heart speed up more than the stimcaf ever could.

“You were so fast asleep that I didn’t want to wake you.” He said by way of explanation. He was already showered and dressed.

“Thank-you.”

“No nightmares?” He asked, pushing a plate of warm, buttered scones in my direction.

I sipped the hot stimcaf gratefully. “No nightmares.” I confirmed.

He simply nodded and went back to his own drink, reading the latest news flimsy that had been delivered.

“I see Xizor has dumped his latest girlfriend.” He commented.

The corner of my mouth curled up in a smile. “Are you reading the gossip column?”

“No, it made the headlines.” He snorted with distaste. “She is, apparently, devastated.”

“Oh.” I knelt up on the kitchen stool and leaned on the counter to read the flimsy with him.

“Oooh, Lord Vader’s offensive at Vergesso Prime was successful.” I commented, reading the headline ‘Imperials Win Again!’ “Of course you know that he went out here on a tip from the Prince. He’ll be so cross that Xizor was right.”

“Well, I would wait until Lord Vader returns and tells you what really happened before I’d believe what was written here.”

“And maybe he’ll tell me about Harkov as well!” I said. “The Admiral was executed wasn’t he? The reports don’t say much, it’s all very hush hush.”

“A very bad business that.” Thrawn commented with a nod. “Do you recall that young pilot I wrote you about?”

“Stele?” I nodded.

“Well apparently he, along with a couple of others, had a lot to do with helping in that capture. They managed to get Harkov but the fleet he commanded is still out there, presumably acting on Harkov’s behalf, and has also turned rebel.” He said. “Vader deal with Harkov personally, so you know the end result there.”


I just looked at him. “A whole fleet defected? That wasn’t in any of the reports I read. I am surprised that even after three weeks nothing has really been mentioned, it’s even fairly quiet over all the official channels.”

“Of course it is, my dear. It is bad enough that an admiral of the Imperial navy turned traitor but an entire fleet? Well, you can imagine if news of that got out.”

“This rebel thing is getting out of hand.” I said flatly.

Thrawn nodded. “Indeed.” He said. “More ‘caf?” He asked and then went back to reading the morning’s news. Something caught my eye and without thinking I pulled the flimsy to my side of the counter. This earned me a raised eyebrow and an annoyed look.

“Oh my!” I exclaimed.

“What is it?” Asked Thrawn.

“Agaddi ren’Nor is dead.” I said as I quickly read through the short obituary.

“Who is that?”

“He was one of the Emperor’s best horticulturalists; he recently went to work for Prince Xizor. It says here that before he could even start his new job he was found dead. Apparently some freak accident with a lift. There’s an investigation but they don’t suspect foul play. How sad, I kind of liked him.” I handed the flimsy back to Thrawn who skimmed the small text quickly.

Thrawn shook his head and snorted. “No foul play indeed. The Emperor does not like to give up his best people, especially to someone like Prince Xizor.”

“You don’t think it was an accident?”

He just arched an eyebrow at me. “No.” he replied.

“Speaking of accidents, did you hear about the attack on Xizor?”

He shook his head.

“Happened a little while ago now, some moon-brain managed to get past all Palace security and attacked the Prince after he had a meeting there. Wanted revenge, blamed Xizor for the death of his family or some such thing. Now you have to wear your ID tags visible at all times, no exceptions. Security keeps arresting people for no ID tags. It’s very silly.”

“How did this assailant avoid security in the first place?”

I gave Thrawn a look. “How do you think?”

Thrawn shook his head in disgust. “It doesn’t become Vader to play these stupid, bickering games, you know.”

I just shrugged. “I think he just gets bored sometimes.”

That remark earned me a smile. “They mention the public ceremony for the new wing dedication tonight; they expect a lot of people to come.” He said. “Did you get a new dress for the reception afterwards?” He remarked, switching topics deftly.

“I did.” I said with a grin.

“Has Cati performed her usual magic?”

“She has.”

“Do I get to see it?”

“Only if you’re planning on attending.” I told him coyly.

“I’d say that chances are good I will be there.” He replied as he refilled my stimcaf. For a moment our eyes met and that world shattering sensation flashed through me like a seismic charge. I swallowed, bit my lip, blushed and looked away. He smirked.

I sipped my drink. “I told Zaarin I was attending alone when he asked if I would be his date a couple of days ago. He figured that since you were not around I would be easy prey.”

Thrawn’s eyebrow shot up. “Oh?” he said. “I imagine he did not enjoy being told ‘no’ yet again. He’s quite persistent with you, I’ll give him that. Most men would have walked away by now.”

“He’s not persistent, he’s just stupid. Most men would have taken the hint by now.” I scowled. “He’s an arrogant Imperial male who thinks he can have what he wants at the snap of his fingers. ‘Getting me’ has become a personal mission, I think. He won’t win; he’s just too stubborn to figure that out!” I made a face. “I told him I was tired of being gossip fodder by way of an excuse, he said if that were really the case I should probably not be shacking up with you.”

Thrawn had to work hard not to spray the mouthful of stimcaf he had just taken all over the counter. “He actually said that?”

“Yes, he actually said that.” I confirmed.

“I am all ears as to your response, my dear.”

My shrug was nonchalant. “I just smiled at him and told him he shouldn’t believe the all the gossip.”

“Really?” He did that annoying eyebrow thing. “I see some of my lessons on diplomacy are rubbing off on you.”

“More like I can’t be bothered to deal with him, it’s tedious and besides, he tried to kill me. If he wanted me to go out on a date with him he should have thought about that before he tried to poison me and blow you up.” I said crossly. “Smiling at him confuses him.” I added. “One of these days I shall be smiling when I throttle him with my bare hands. Which I could do quite easily, you know!” I made wringing motions with my hands to make my point.

He shook his head in mock despair. “I can see that some of Vader’s tactics have also rubbed off on you.”

“Hardly! I don’t go around force choking everyone who pisses me off.”

He smiled. “No, you shower us unsuspecting males with enough desire to drown an entire battalion.”

Our eyes locked a second time and another seismic charge exploded in my belly. “Neither you nor he can complain if I am being polite.” I said. “Frosty smiles are about as nice as I get these days. I’ve run out of patience and I’m all out of nice. It doesn’t get me anywhere anyway. I could still do him in though.”

“I would much rather you were frosty and polite to him than you took matters into your own hands and eliminated him.” He said with a hint of reproach. “Removing him from the galaxy is not your job and I doubt it would make the Emperor very happy if you were to attempt it.”

“Puh! You don’t let me have any fun!” I told him, taking a scone to munch on. “And the Emperor is….”

“…never happy, I know.” He finished for me. “Speaking of fun, I take it your wish to attend this thing solo means that I cannot ask you to be my date for the event?” He was teasing.

“You can ask, but you’d get the same answer Zaarin did.” I said with a shrug. “In light of self interest and self preservation I think it’s best that I go unattached or shadow Lord Vader if he will be there. He got back to the core a day ago but he’s been pretty busy with meetings with the Emperor so I have not really seen a whole lot of him. You are supposed to be in disgrace. I am supposed to be trying to keep a low profile. Besides, I am getting tired of having my face splashed on the Daily Digest flimsies and the HoloNet entertainment nightly shows just because the gossip mongers have nothing better to write about. ”

He laughed. “So you mean you actually plan behaving at this event?”

I made a face. “I always behave.” I told him crossly. “I can’t help it that trouble finds me.”

I glared at him when his eyebrow shot up. “I seem to recall the last time you attended an official function it ended rather disastrously.” He remarked tartly. “And that particular trouble was self inflicted.”

“You will never let me forget about that, will you?”

“You are very funny when you are inebriated.” He said with a little grin. “I really wonder if it is at all safe to let you loose without a chaperone.”

“You know, just because I don’t feel the need to fuel the fires that already circulate around you, me and our odd little relationship doesn’t mean I won’t behave myself at this stupid event. Last time, as I recall, it was because I got pecked at by the powers that be I ended up going off the deep end. If I hadn’t been drinking I would have hurt someone.” I told him hotly, all the while watching him try very hard not to laugh. “Anyway, you don’t have to worry; Shiv has taken it upon himself to act as the big-brother watch dog this time around. He was pretty ticked at me for getting so drunk at the last event and he blames you. He wasn’t happy about your inability to keep an eye on me. I told him it was hardly your fault, after all, it’s not as if anyone actually instructed you to baby-sit me, you didn’t force feed me the bubbly and I could have and should have just gone home. Ugh, I don’t want to even think about fizzy champagne let alone drink any.” I shuddered.

Thrawn laughed and caressed the side of my face with a brush of his fingers. “Why is Shiv even complaining? He wasn’t the one picking up the pieces the day after, I was.”

I sighed. “I can move back to the palace, you know!”

He just continued to smile. “That is an empty threat, you like my bed too much and I like having you in it.” He said. “But if you must have an answer to the unasked question behind that statement, I think I’d prefer you stay here where I can keep an eye on you.” He punctuated this statement with a light kiss on the top of my head.

I didn’t know how to reply to that so I just nodded and sipped my drink. The silence between us was so utterly comfortable that I didn’t want to break it.

“I noticed your speeder isn’t here. Do you want a ride to work?” He asked after he had finished reading and drained his cup.

“Sure.”

“Then I suggest you get yourself ready, my dear, I have to leave soon. I have meetings all day and I probably should not be late.”

It occurred to me, while I showered, that this must be what having a normal life felt like, that billions of beings all around the galaxy lived this way, every single day. It was magical. As I dressed for work, I felt a touch of regret that it couldn’t stay this way forever.

2 comments:

A Army Of (Cl)One said...

I am catching up :). I am now up to July of 2006 (and Merlyn's test) Of course I have resorted to cut and paist, reformate and bound in a binder to read at night.

I do enjoy your story to date.

merlyn said...

:)

for editing purposes I have it printed out as well, I think you are NOT alone in this. I should post pdf files when I get the chapters done.

glad you are still enjoying it.

-merly