BOOK TWO

1.3.07

In the City that never sleeps 8

Like Prince Xizor, Lord Vader had a large extravagant castle near the Imperial Palace. Unlike the Prince or the Emperor, Lord Vader did not bother himself with interior design and décor. His home was sparsely furnished and the walls were mostly bare. For the most part I found it incredibly gloomy and despite the glowing write up it had been given in the Coruscant lifestyle magazine, Famous Homes and Famous People, it was anything but warm and welcoming, although the description of minimalist was pretty much spot on. Even so, Lord Vader preferred to spend his time here whenever possible. He said there were fewer distractions which, for him, was mostly true.

From my office at the Imperial Palace to my work space in his home it should have taken about a twenty minute walk but that was never the case. Usually it took closer to forty minutes to an hour depending on how cranky security was feeling. Despite the fact that pretty much everyone on his staff knew me, the rigorous screening and security checks that everyone had to go through in order to be granted access were mandatory and the guys delighted in stopping me at every single turn. Mostly, I didn’t mind because it was more an excuse on their part to hear any gossip that was going on in the palace than out of spite. Sitting at a check point all day guarding the entrances to Lord Vader’s home and the Imperial Palace was not the most exciting job in the world and I usually had some tidbit of gossip to keep them happy. It was a decent excuse to procrastinate getting there. I hated it when he wanted me to work from his home.

For the longest time it had meant sitting in the depressingly cold room he called a study with bad lighting and uncomfortable greel wood furniture. Even worse than the freezing cold gloom was that there was no place to make tea or have lunch unless I found my way through the palatial labyrinth of corridors to the servants’ quarters and swipe stuff from them. Needless to say they were not pleased about my intrusion on their space and a little war of wills had ensued.

After a while my complaints must have annoyed him into action because he eventually had the study renovated into a warm, bright office with an adjoining small kitchen and refresher that was more or less solely mine. It didn’t mean I liked working from his home any more but at least it was more comfortable than it had been. Located in the west wing, near his training rooms and the room with the hyperbaric chamber it was usually a quiet place, but not always.
I was in the middle of making stimcaf when I felt rather than heard someone behind me.

“He’ll be cross that you bypassed his security again.” I said when I figured out who it was.

The man standing behind me laughed. “How do you always know?”

“Well this time it would be because you smell like a dying bantha, Jix.” I turned around and gave him a look. “What did you do run through the waste management plant?”

He grinned. “Aw come on, darlin’ you like my manly scent.”

“Uh huh. That’s why I’m wrinkling my nose in disgust and walking away.” I sipped my stimcaf, “Why are you breaking into his home this time?” I asked as I went back into my office.

“He called a meeting, sent his boys to come and remind me.” He said with a shrug. “I like to beat ‘em at their own game.”

“You like to piss off Lord Vader by breaking into his house.” I said. “I don’t know why he keeps you around.”

He smiled. “Could ask the same thing about you, you know, you’re a lousy secretary; you didn’t even offer me a refreshing beverage.”

“That would be because I am not his secretary, I am his personal assistant, not yours and you snuck in uninvited.”

“I didn’t scare you like last time though.” He grinned.

“Last time you didn’t stink so much.” I told him. “And I was in the middle of a shouting match with one of Lord Vader’s droid suppliers.”

“Yeah, right I remember that.” He laughed. “So, will you go tell him I’m here or shall I just sneak into his egg chamber thing room again?”

I shuddered. The last time he had done that Lord Vader had been furious and the fallout had been lengthy and unpleasant. “Wait here and don’t touch anything!” I waggled my finger at him.

He just smirked and planted himself down on the couch near the desk, putting his feet up on the small table. “I’ll just make myself comfy then!”

I sighed as I left for the training room. I didn’t need to comm him to know where he was I could hear it. The door to the training room was open. The sound of the lightsaber’s hum was marred briefly by the sound of broken droid parts crashing to the floor. The combat droids were supposed to be the best in the galaxy but Lord Vader swept through them like a Hutt eating kreetle eggs. He knew I was there, standing just inside the entrance to the training room but he ignored me. Until he acknowledged my presence I kept my mouth shut. I liked watching him at play which amused him to no end. I didn’t mind waiting.

“What is it girl?” he asked after the third droid went down in a hail of glowing metal bits.

“Wrenga Jixton is here to see you.” I told him. “I found him loitering in my kitchen.” I said. “Maybe you could ask him to sneak through the servant’s area next time? Or better yet use the main entrance like everyone else has to?”

There was a moment’s pause while Lord Vader digested this information. He decided to ignore it and said, “Send him in then and get back to your work, I need those figures and the information I requested today not when you feel like it!”

“Yes, my lord.” I nodded and left the room, the scent of molten metal, lightsaber and ozone following me out as I went.

By the time I made it back to my office Jix had helped himself to stimcaf and cookies. He looked perfectly at home. Despite his scruffiness and roughness around the edges, I liked Jix. He had an easy manner that was familiar to me. He was a tall, well built man with very long brown hair which he always kept tied back. He almost always dressed in faded brown utility pants, well worn standard issue boots, a soft hide vest, his riding gloves and a pair of swoop goggles which permanently sat around his neck. Shirts did not seem to be a part of his wardrobe, but the two blasters he carried slung cross-wise low on his hips were. He liked to carry himself off as a tough guy and I was certain he was not someone I wanted as an enemy but there was something more to him than met the eye, a kindness he kept well hidden but I felt it sometimes. He routinely broke into Lord Vader’s home, just because he could and he didn’t seem to be afraid of anything or anyone. He had been instrumental in saving Lord Vader’s life once. He had also struck some sort of a deal which had indentured him to the Dark Lord’s service forever, no questions asked. I liked him but I didn’t need to let him know that.

He looked up at me as I walked into the office. “You make a mean stimcaf, darlin’.”

“Did you eat my lunch as well?” I asked.

He grinned, finishing what was left in his cup. “No, I hate salads, but thanks anyway. When you get some real food maybe I’ll join you for a meal next time.”

“Huh, who said I’d even invite you to lunch, let alone share?”


“Awww I love it when you flirt with me!” He gave me the once up and down. “But I thought you were seeing someone.”

“I am.” I told him. “And it’s none of your business.”

“Too bad, I like red heads!” he gave me a grin. “They’re sassy!”

“Yeah, you and every other man in the Empire!” I snorted. “As much as I’d love to stand here and banter with you all day, Lord Vader will see you now.” I said when he raised his chin a notch.

“Maybe I aught to avail myself of your facilities and pretty myself up first.” he said with a grin.

I gave him a look, “Lord Vader breaths filtered air, he won’t care that you smell like a Hutt.”

“You always say the sweetest things!” He smirked. “Should I go find him myself or are you holding my hand?”

“The nice gentlemen in pretty white suits will lead you.” I said waving the two stormtroopers in who had been waiting to take Jix to see Lord Vader.

“Hey, babysitters, how thoughtful.” He said.

“Play nice!”

“Next time I’ll bring you flowers!” He said with a wink.

“He’s in a mood, so mind your manners!” I called after him as he walked out the office. His answer was a wave and a chuckle.

I shook my head and went back to work. Vader liked having Jix around because he was useful but he didn’t always tolerate Jix’s rudeness. I think it mostly annoyed him that Jix wasn’t scared of him the way almost everyone else was and he also hated the fact that Jix had once saved his life. Lord Vader wasn’t really big on owing anyone anything

I was just about to sit at my desk when the comm buzzed. “Yes?”

“Er Miss Gabriel, erm…Prince Xizor is here to see Lord Vader, what shall we do?” A nervous young man’s voice told me.

I rolled my eyes and sighed. Xizor! He had a scheduled appointment and Jix had been uninvited. Well, I thought, I had already made the trip down the hall once.

“Well for goodness sakes go and tell Lord Vader then, he’s in his large training room.” I snapped at the young man.

“Yes ma’am.” He said and I switched the comm off. I looked at the dirty dishes Jix had left on the small couch table and sighed. How the hell was I supposed to get any work done in this place with all these interruptions? This was why I hated working from Lord Vader’s home.

I got up and went to greet the Prince.

He was waiting in the main foyer with his usual and unnecessarily large entourage. He looked both regal and bored all at the same time.

“Prince Xizor, if you would please follow me.” I said politely.

The Falleen looked at me and gave me a smile that never reached his eyes. “Miss Gabriel, how delightful to see you again.” He spoke casually as I led him and his people to the conference room Lord Vader had requested be used.

There was no conversation as we walked down the hallway to the meeting room. Xizor had long since lost any interest he might have had in baiting me. He was frostily polite and I was happy with that. Thanks to Shiv I knew what his trick was when it came to enticing females into his bed but knowing what it was and being able to fight against the lure of his pheromones were two different things. I wasn’t anxious to test my ability to resist him should he ever wish to try this again.


The Conference room was large, comfortable in a utilitarian sort of way but devoid of decorations. This specially designed room that was so full of surveillance equipment that one could almost here the hum from the circuitry. Xizor was as paranoid as he was powerful so I knew that he would also have some sort of surveillance equipment with him. He and Lord Vader never seemed to tire of playing spy verses spy.

One of the servants had already made certain that refreshments had been laid out but I knew nothing would be touched. Lord Vader did not drink or eat in public and the prince would be worried about poison. However, this game that was being played also consisted of who could out polite who. The Emperor prized courtesy and there had been repercussions in the past for Lord Vader when he had been especially rude to the Prince.

“Please, your highness, make your self comfortable. Lord Vader will be with you shortly.” I said.

That irked Xizor, who did not like to be kept waiting. “I have a busy schedule, Miss Gabriel. I do not have time to waste.”

I gave him one of my best smiles. “Yes, your Highness.” And with that I left him to sit and work out where all the hidden spy equipment was.

I wondered how anyone could go through life the way the Falleen prince did. Always scheming and plotting. He was ruthless and calculating, not to mention ugly. All my force senses told me he was dangerous in every way possible. I hated being in the same room with him. He made my skin crawl.

His business with Lord Vader, on the surface was nothing more than standard negotiations about ships and equipment but really he was after something bigger; Lord Vader suspected that he was after Luke Skywalker. If that was the case it would not have surprised me, although how the Prince knew that Luke was Vader’s son was a bit of a mystery. I didn’t think it was a coincidence that both Jix and then Xizor showed up on the same day within thirty minutes of each other.

I went back to work and salvaged what was left of my day. By the end of it I had accomplished most of the tasks I was supposed to, resorted out Lord Vader’s schedule for the sixth time, dealt with the droid dealers and given him the results he wished for.

He read the data when I handed it to him and nodded. “This will suffice.” He said, then changing subjects asked, “I suppose you will be attending the reception after the dedication ceremony with Admiral Thrawn?

I shook my head. “No, I decided in the interest of not being gossip fodder I’d go on my own. Why, do you need a date?” I asked cheerfully, knowing this would probably annoy him more than amuse him.

He turned around and I could feel the glare from behind the mask. “I take it you are actually avoiding Zaarin’s attentions as well as the media?”

“Zaarin is a pompous idiot who doesn’t get the hint!” I retorted. Zaarin had become a touchy subject and he liked to push that particular button. It amused him, although I had no idea why.

“In some respects yes, he is. However he has expressed great interest in you, perhaps I should order you to attend with him anyway. You can find out what has been on his mind. His reports from his various projects have been somewhat thin as of late.”

I sighed. “You could but it wouldn’t accomplish much. Zaarin’s mind is very strong and I can’t read much from him. If he is lying about his work, I never pick it up.”

“Interesting how that works. I would have thought, if you put your will to it you could entice information out of him.”

I glared at him and for a moment we just stared at each other, although really it was like staring at a mirror because all I saw in his mask was my reflection. I looked away first.

“If you actually forced me to do this you’d have to find another personal assistant because I’d rather jump in the Great Pit of Carkoon than be intimate with that man.”

He chuckled. “I believe you would at that.” He said. “However, that might be amusing to watch.”

I shook my head; there was no suitable retort to this statement. “I could accompany you and quietly try to read him while you talk with him.” I suggested.

“Yes, perhaps, although I will only plan on attending the actual dedication ceremony. I will not be attending the function afterwards, unless my Master demands it. I have better things to do with my time.” He said. “Still, you will have plenty of opportunities at the reception to read him and perhaps after a few glasses of the Emperor’s champagne he will be more open to suggestion.”

“Perhaps.” I said. “I will see what I can do, but I am not playing doxy for you, he has enough courtesans who like to bed with him, I won’t be one more.”

He chuckled and then said, “A driver will pick you up promptly at eighteen-thirty hundred hours. Be ready. I will not be kept waiting.”

“As you wish, my lord.”

“You may leave now.” He flapped his hand at me in that all too familiar dismissive gesture and turned his back to me once more.

“Yes, my lord.” And before he could change his mind or say anything else I swirled around and left to go home.



3 comments:

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Good for you in not being a doxy!

merlyn said...

Puh! As if I would be! Honestly men are sometimes so peculiar!

cooltopten said...

very cool :)