BOOK TWO

11.3.07

In the City that never sleeps 11


The palace was very quiet. I liked it when it was this way. I walked through the dimly lit hallways quickly, the sound of my high heeled shoes echoing loudly off the marble. I knew two of the guards on security duty and told them they hadn’t missed much when they asked about the ceremony. It would be holo-cast later on anyway; the HoloNet News team had been all over the place.

My office was a refuge of peace and tranquility. I turned on the small corner lamp, filled the kettle up and turned it on and then I went to stand at the window to watch the never ending movement of lights as the traffic flew around the city. When the kettle boiled I made a pot of white chaya leaf tea, poured a cup which I cradled in my hands for warmth then went back to staring out of the window ignoring the work I had intended to do.

This city, this planet which never stopped moving, never slept amazed me almost as much as it repulsed me. Technically, it was a wonder such a place even existed at all but that was more spectacular mechanical engineering than anything else. It was a sort of jungle made from duracrete and metals, life forms of all sorts and processing plants which scrubbed the atmosphere, cleaned the water and provided never ending power. I wondered how many of the millions of beings who lived here really cared about whom was actually in charge. Did it matter who actually ran the government as long as essential services kept working, and salaries got paid, public transportation ran on time. Did the average citizen worry about the inner political workings at all? I didn’t really think so. All most beings cared about was how they would feed, house and clothe themselves and their families, what they would watch on the HoloNet when they got home from work and how much they hated or loved their jobs.

These questions led me to think about the pursuit of power. I wasn’t sure I understood that either. What was the purpose of more power, more fame and more money? Surely there must be a point at which too much was just too much. Greed was a concept I didn’t really get, I had never lusted after material wealth or things. How much junk could a person have in their lives? All the clothes, books, expensive jewels and so on didn’t make one a better person, it just weighed one down. Living on and off of ships had taught me that too much stuff was a burden not a good thing. The less one owned the more freedom one had. I supposed, as I thought about it, that my desires and wants lay in different directions, I just wasn’t sure exactly what they were. I sighed. It hurt my head to think about this topic.

I sipped my tea quietly, enjoying the peace that my office provided. I was so lost in my own thoughts that a knock on the door made me jump. I smiled, thinking Shiv must have driven his speeder like a mad thing to get back so quickly and I used the force to unlock and open the door, a trick he usually made fun of but never tired of seeing it.

“You guys must have broken all the speed limi…” I started but by the time I had turned around I realised that it wasn’t Shiv and Ynyth standing in the doorway it was Grand Admiral Zaarin.

“Good evening, Miss Gabriel.” He said as the door behind him. “I hope I’m not disturbing you.”

There was a pause in time while I assessed this situation. He had a look on his face which said he had made up his mind about something and I probably wasn’t going to like it much.

I kept my voice light. “Grand Admiral Zaarin, what can I do for you at this late hour?”

“I thought you and I might have that little chat about my work now and perhaps I could get to know you a little better.” He said. “I saw you leave the assembly hall and wanted to make sure that you were alright so I followed you. It hasn’t been safe lately to wander around the palace alone. Did you not hear what happened to Prince Xizor?”

I walked over to my desk, put my cup down and turned on the small desk lamp to add more light to the dim room. “Yes, but I am quite sure that was an isolated incident. I’m fine, so there is no need for you to concern yourself with my well being.”

“On the contrary Miss Gabriel, I am quite concerned for you. You don’t seem to understand the sort of trouble a young lady such as yourself might attract.” He casually walked towards the desk, picking up a book then laying it back down again. There was something in his voice that made me look at him carefully.

“I think you underestimate my ability to take care of myself, really I’m fine. You should return to the great hall and enjoy the event.” I said.

He looked at me. “I think I would prefer to enjoy the pleasure of your company in private.”

“That is very flattering but I afraid you will find me quite dull.”

“I doubt that Miss Gabriel.” He said “I rather find you quite fascinating.”

I had to stop myself from rolling my eyes. This was beginning to sound like a bad Holloway script. “Then I would be happy to chat with you at the reception later but right now, it would be best if you allowed me to return to my work. I am rather busy and Lord Vader is unforgiving if I am not on top of things.” I told him putting a little edge in my own voice.

“You didn’t look terribly busy to me,” He said in a casual manner, “staring out of the window drinking tea.”

I sighed, dropping my I’m being nice face. “Okay seeing as how being polite doesn’t work what about this? Please leave.” I moved so that the desk was between us, making him have to come around it to come to stand in front of me. I wanted my desk and the office door at his back. He took a step forward forcing me to step backwards to avoid closer contact with him.

“You know, Miss Gabriel, I am getting rather tired of being turned away and told ‘no’ by you.” Now we were getting to the truth of the matter.

“Then maybe you should stop asking me for things you can’t have.” I replied. Anger, lust and something I could not quite define rippled through the air. I took another step away from him, wondering how far he would go and how far I should let him. I was not scared. I didn’t think he was a threat to me in any real physical sense and in the back of my mind I saw an opportunity to accomplish what Lord Vader had requested, but that didn’t mean I wasn’t feeling the adrenaline rush through my body.

“There is nothing here I cannot have.” He said casually as he backed me slowly and carefully against the wall behind the desk. Now he was facing me and the wall, he could not see my desk or the entrance to the office.

“I am willing to bet the Emperor would see things a little differently.” I replied, keeping my voice light. We could have been talking about tea instead of what he really wanted.

“The Emperor has no say in how I conduct my private affairs.” He snarled.

“Really?” I asked a little more tartly than I meant to. “I was under the impression that the Emperor rules this galaxy so I would assume he actually does have a say in the affairs of those who work for him.”

He said. “Well, maybe for now that is the case but it won’t always be that way.”

“Oh?”

He moved in front of me, caging me in place with his arms on either side of my body. He was taller than me so I had to look up at him to meet his stare. “Have you considered what would happen to you if the Emperor were no longer in power?” He asked.

I shook my head. “No.” I said. “Why would I ever even imagine such a thing?”

“The Emperor is human.” He said as if that explained it all.

I shrugged. “Well if something ever were to happen to him, I imagine that, as second in command, Lord Vader would take up the slack and I work for him so I don’t think my life would change very much.” I said.

He didn’t like that answer much. His eyes had become cold and hard. He hadn’t done anything yet to make me defend myself so I didn’t have a reason to hit him but I itched to do so. My skin crawled at his closeness. The sour scent of recently drunk champagne on his breath, which was warm on my face, as he spoke to me made me queasy. I didn’t want to provoke him into violence because I hoped to avoid that but he was making me cross. I doubted that if he was on the receiving end of my Bunduki training he would be very chatty about his nefarious plans, if he even had any. I wasn’t entirely sure that Lord Vader was just over-reacting to Zaarin’s ambitions.

Zaarin’s voice was icy as he spoke, “Lord Vader is obsessed with finding one rebel. He is consumed by anger and hatred. His leadership skills are next to non existent. His ridiculous notions cost this Empire precious time, credits and man power! Do not think for a moment that he would take the Emperor’s place. He is a lackey, dressed to put fear into the minions who live only to serve.”

“I am not so sure that he would see it this way.” I commented dryly, not liking how he spoke about the man I worked for.

This clearly puzzled him. “Do you not wish to better your station? Are you not tired of working for a man who does not appreciate your talents?” He asked. His voice was suddenly soft and coercive, but I had heard this speech before, although last time it had been from a man I actually liked and respected. Zaarin’s words did nothing except stir up the spark of anger in my gut.

“I like the work I do, Grand Admiral Zaarin. I also enjoy working for Lord Vader and I have no desire to change that any time soon.”

When he caressed the side of my face I pulled up some of my own power, took the lust I felt from him and showered it back. I knew he felt it because his pupils dilated and he gasped slightly. I hoped it would put him off balance but he just smiled.

“I could make you so much more than you are now, you could be at my side and have everything you ever desired.”

“How would you do that? I don’t think Lord Vader would let me switch jobs and work for you.” I asked not bothering to even tell him I had everything I desired already.

“You would not be working for me, dear, you would be my companion.”

“Oh really.” I said flatly. “Well, I don’t think that would work out.” and then added before I could censor myself, “I already have companionship.” I didn’t miss the flash of anger in his eyes, “Besides the Emperor has made it clear how he feels on relationships between palace girls and members of the Imperial Navy.” I added.

“That rule has not seemed to hamper you any when it comes to Imperial men. I’ve seen how you and that red eyed abomination carry on and I’ve heard the rumours about your … exploits. You have no problems ignoring the rules when it suits your purpose.” He said sharply.

“You really believe all the gossip you hear about me?” I asked.

He ignored me and continued, “There will come a time when the Emperor will not have a say in such things at all.” I caught a flash of hatred. He was not lying, he truly believed that soon enough the Emperor would not be around to dictate any longer. I tried to read more from his words but my skills for that were not very strong. I tried a different tack.

“How do you know this?” I asked. “Is the Emperor ill or something?”

He gave me a predator’s smile and leaned even closer against me. “The Emperor’s health has been failing for many years now. Nothing lasts forever, even stars eventually die.” He said. “It is good to be prepared for all eventualities.”

“I see, so what exactly is it you want of me?” I asked. I was getting tired of this.

“The same thing you apparently give every other man who asks.” He toyed with my hair, tugging one of the Zenji sticks out. “You are quite versed in the art of seduction, I hear. You have Thrawn and Vader seemingly wrapped around your little finger, so I think you already know the answer to that.”

I sighed. “Ah, you think, like everyone else, that I can read your mind?”

“You have a sharp tongue, Miss Gabriel. Not a very attractive trait in a woman.” He said as he pulled out the second Zenji stick and my hair tumbled down about my shoulders. The air around me was suddenly filled with the scent of my shampoo and perfume. He tossed my hair sticks on the floor and ran his fingers through my hair. I winced as he caught a knot and pulled through it.

“Did you come here to chastise me for my lack of manners?” I asked crossly, “Or just play with my hair?”

He smirked. “You’re a feisty little thing, I’ll give you that. I can see why someone like Thrawn would find you fun to play with. I believe he enjoys breaking down difficult challenges. How often did you say no to him before you let him seduce you?”

“What makes you think I ever told him no?” The words were out of my mouth before I could stop them. It probably wasn’t the smartest thing in the galaxy to say but I didn’t care. I was getting annoyed with him touching me. I was beginning to feel like one of the slave girls at Jabba’s and I didn’t like it very much.

His expression turned ugly. He grasped my jaw roughly, forcing my head back against the wall with a dull thud. For a split second anger flared through me and all I wanted to do was kill him. I bit this back in favour of baiting him just a little more. “Hurting me won’t win you my affections.” I told him.

“I do not wish your affection!” He smiled. He said as he began to touch me in a manner that made me want to vomit on him. His lust was powerful and I used it the same way I had on Myrkr when Thrawn had used my talents to seduce Ormante and his men. Desire clouded men’s judgement and made then loose tongued and dopey. I hoped it would work here as well because if it didn’t I was going to have to end this before it got utterly out of hand.

“Brute strength won’t get you what you want either. Not even the Emperor who is more powerful than you are and rules this Galaxy could force me to do what you want.” I said.

“The Emperor’s power is fleeting.”

“I don’t think so.”

I tried not to wince as Zaarin continued to hold my jaw in a vice like grip and fondle me. He was not gentle. “You are as naive as you are lovely.” He said. “There are always ways in which to bring a tyrant down. Would you not rather be on the winning side?” he asked.

It crossed my mind briefly that the way in which he was man-handling me was how most people tested fruit in the market to see if it was ripe or not. I wondered how any of the women who slept with him put up with it. He had the romantic skills of a rancor. When he pinched me hard enough to hurt I pushed his hand off my breast.

“This behaviour is inappropriate.” I told him. “And you are talking about treason. I won’t be a part of this. I am loyal to the Emperor and I am not yours to touch!”

His eyes narrowed to thin slits. “Did you think you could just tell me to go away and I would? I always get what I want and that includes you, little girl.” He brought his face close to mine and whispered in my ear. “Just because you work for Vader doesn’t make you special. You seem to think you are too good for anyone else but that’s not the case. I know exactly what you are.” His breath was sour and the sudden flashback I had of being in a similar situation when I was younger caused a tiny flash of panic, it lasted only a moment but he had not missed it and I felt his sense of triumph as he pinned me against the wall with one hand.

“You know nothing about me, you repulsive snake, and you never will.” I hissed between clenched teeth.

He backhanded me violently across face. “Oh really, we’ll see about that. By the time I am done with you not even the dregs of Coruscant will want to touch you.”

“You disgust me!” I spat at him, my temper now getting the better of me.

“You need to learn respect, Miss Gabriel.” He said tightly, hitting me a second time. I let my head roll with it this time. When I brought my face back to meet his eyes there was no mistaking the hatred I felt for him in my expression.

“Respect needs to be earned.” I replied and just stared at him. I suppose he read the defiance in my eyes because he suddenly tore the bodice of my dress with both hands. I was glad this dress had allowed me to wear a bra. I shivered as the cool air hit my skin. He leered at me and suddenly the lacy lingerie I had on didn’t seem to cover enough. Of course, I hadn’t worn it with him in mind. “And tearing my clothes won’t earn you mine. It just pisses me off.” I told him.

“You are prideful for Outer Rim trash.” He said. His eyes narrowed when he caught sight of the tiny ma’arilite pendant around my neck. He picked it up between his thumb and forefinger. Something in my expression alerted him that this meant something to me. “What’s this? A gift from the Emperor’s pet?” He spat. “Payment for services rendered? There is another thing I shall get rid of when I am in charge of this Empire. There is no place for freaks like Thrawn.”

So that was what he was planning to do, a coup of some sort. When I didn’t answer he yanked on the chain hard, breaking it and flung the necklace behind him spitefully. I heard it clatter across the desk. I had to swallow my fury but the hate that was boiling away in my belly was starting to get the better of me. Zaarin smiled and ran his finger along the edge of my collar bone. I shuddered. This had nothing to do with sex; this had everything to do with power. I wondered how much longer I should let this continue. His wandering hands decided that for me.

“You are really very pretty; it is too bad that alien has spoilt you for the rest of us. I might have considered making you my wife but I won’t keep tainted goods.”

I drew a deep breath and concentrated. As he pawed at me, I made my first move carefully and used the force to send my tea cup flying across the room where it smashed against the opposite wall loudly. The noise startled him and he turned around to see what it was, worried about getting caught in a compromising situation. The momentary distraction was just enough that I could move. I grasped the hand he had planted on my breast and I twisted it using pressure points causing him pain. He gasped in surprise, pulled his hand free allowing me to shove him further away from me, giving me just enough room to strike.

With a move Boba Fett had taught me called the serpent’s kiss I struck him. It required a little concentration and a lot of accuracy. The hand held straight and stiff, so that the energy from the sudden jab, quick and sharp, flowed through the arm and out of the fingertips like a lightening strike. I hit him just below his Adam’s apple and he stumbled back from me gasping and clutching his throat. It wasn’t as intimidating as Lord Vader’s force choke, but it had the same effect. It was painful and it would feel like dying although it wasn’t fatal. Chances were good that it probably wouldn’t even leave a mark. While he stood trying to breathe I went on the offensive. Using the same technique, I found a second point of pain just under his collar bone and he grunted as his left shoulder and arm went numb. There was a little nerve there that hurt like hell when enough force on exactly the right place was applied.

I knew exactly how painful this was because, when he had been teaching me about pressure and pain points, my uncle had made sure I knew what everything felt like. “So that you know the right points to hit at the right times lei-lei.” He had said. My arm had tingled for at least an hour afterwards and I had been furious with him for doing that to me, but now I was grateful. I wanted Zaarin to suffer and I knew he would.

The surprised expression on Zaarin’s face told me he had not expected this outcome. He had come here with the full intention of taking from me what he thought would be easy to get. To him I was just someone who had said no one too many times. He had wanted to hurt Thrawn and maybe even Lord Vader by hurting me. He had not bargained on me being able to fight back in a way that was not exciting for him. I stared at him in disgust. He was a pathetic, unattractive, older man who was grasping for power that was never his to have. I didn’t care what Thrawn had said, I thought Zaarin was a moron.

He tried to straighten up and for a split second I debated what I should do next, how best to really hurt him because that is what I wanted to do. I wanted to damage him beyond repair and this desire rippled through me like wildfire. I had to fight the urge to let my powers loose and simply attack him without thought at all. Killing him would have been surprisingly easy but would land me in no end of trouble, besides Thrawn had repeatedly told me not to and the last thing I wanted to do was make Thrawn angry at me. I took a deep breath and forced myself to get a grip on the silent rage that flowed through me. I felt the wall of white noise recede and went to turn away from Zaarin but then he opened his mouth.

“You little bitch,” He croaked, his voice was horse with pain. “You’re nothing but Outer Rim trash and that damned alien’s dirty little whore. You should be….” Before he could finish his next insult my anger got the better of me and I smashed my knee up into his groin as hard as I could. I felt rather than heard the rush of air he involuntarily exhaled. Groaning, he sank to his knees with a thud, his face utterly contorted in the white hot agony. I bent down beside him so I could whisper in his ear.

“If you ever touch me again Demetri, I will kill you and I’ll do it in such a way that you will experience the most pain you have ever known in your life. When I am done I will dispose of your body so that no one, not even the Tze’yusha’Jin, will ever find you afterwards. Do we have an understanding? Nod if we do.”

He nodded, his face red from pain and anger.

“You owe me a dress. I’ll be sending you the bill, make sure you pay it.”

I stood up and left the office as quickly as I could. Holding the pieces of torn bodice together, I made my way through the quiet halls to my old flat and let myself in. It had been a while since I had come in here at night. For a single moment I thought I saw something in the shadows move and imagined I heard the whisper of Jyrki’s voice but when I turned on the lights the flat was empty. Ghosts, nothing more. I let out the breath I had been holding and went inside, locking the door behind me. A wave of shock shot through me and I was suddenly shivering and cold. I made my way to the ‘fresher to clean up, washing my face with ice cold water hoping it would clear away some of the shakes. As I stood in front of the small bathroom mirror, stared at my reflection and sighed. My face and jaw were beginning to ache and my hair was a mess. I went into the bedroom to find something to wear. I had pretty much moved everything I owned into Thrawn’s flat but I still kept enough clothes here in case of emergencies. I found a dress that was both suitable and pretty.

The deep cerulean blue set off my eyes. I studied my reflection in the mirror, feeling glad I had left a couple of formal dresses here just in case. I kicked off the pink shoes and slipped my feet in to the strappy little sandals that matched the dress I was now wearing. It was more revealing than the pink dress Zaarin had ruined and because I had lost some weight after it had been made, it was a little loose, but I didn’t think anyone would care too much. It came with a matching shawl which I was grateful for because now in the aftermath of the adrenaline rush, I was cold.

I touched up my make up, taking special care to try and hide the slowly blossoming bruises Zaarin had left. It would not be the first time I had attended a public function with marks like this and everyone would put it down to Lord Vader’s brutality. Still I hid them as best I could. I brushed the tangles from my hair and decided to leave it long and loose. Once I had managed to make a passable job of makeup, I then went into the kitchen to see if there was anything decent left to drink. I was in the process of pouring brandy into a glass when my comm peeped. It was Shiv.

“Hey Rim-Girl, the reception is starting. Where are you?”

“In my old flat, I had a bit of an accident and needed a change of clothes.”

“What sort of accident? Are you okay? You sound a bit odd.”

“I tripped on that stupid rug in my office and tore my dress, I’m fine. I’ll be there shortly.”

“Okay, see you soon.” He said sounding concerned. I could tell he wanted to ask more but I switched my comm off before he could and before anyone else could message me.

I sipped the brandy thoughtfully, going over in my head what had happened. Zaarin had not been very forthright about concrete information on his plans. I would have liked to have learned more but I was certain that he would never have told me, not even if I had slept with him voluntarily. Still, I thought as I let the brandy wash over my tongue, I had an idea of what he wanted to do. He wanted to get rid of the Emperor and take his place. Zaarin wanted to rule the galaxy. I just had no idea how he was going to go about trying to make that happen. It seemed to me, as I sat in the dimly lit kitchen that men like Zaarin just did not understand that nothing taken by force ever lasted. I swore silently to myself that the next man who ever tried that with me would just die. No more playing around. I was not a piece of merchandise to be manhandled and pawed at. With a sigh I drained the glass and made my way to the reception. The evening was off to an interesting start, I hoped that no one else tried anything with me because I was definitely in the mood to kill.





4 comments:

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Not one to approach when you're in the mood to kill!

merlyn said...

Probably not a good idea to approach any woman when she's ticked off. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, bully for you! I have been so hoping you would get a chance to kick that arrogant son of a Hutt's ass! However, be warned. Men like him don't back down easy. He will probably be more desirous now than ever of taking you, and everyone connected with you, out. On a sidenote, I do hope Thrawn and Lord Vader get a chance to, hmm, 'converse' with him themselves one day. Who ever said conversations couldn't be deadly has never encountered someone with Thrawn's verbal skills or Lord Vader's command of the windpipe. May Zaarin suffer all the more for it.
I hope this unfortunate interlude has not totally ruined your evening. Try working of some of that excess battle energy when you get home. I'm sure the Admiral will appreciate your waiting to release it til behind closed doors for many reasons.
Have a better day tomorrow.
The Nubian Queen

merlyn said...

I somehow don't think that Thrawn will be terribly impressed with the situation, he will probably be quite cross, I just wonder who he will be more cross with...Zaarin for his stupidity or me for mine? And I am absolutely certain that Lord Vader could care less, he has other things to worry about.

*sigh*
See ---> this is me making a cross 'men!!!' face >:-(


why is it that men A: always use the backs of their hands to slap one's face (It really hurts!) and B: Why do men think they can just take what ever they please when ever they please?

of course that being said... there is also women like Isard!

Sometimes I just hate my job!

xxs
Merly