BOOK TWO

15.3.07

In the City that never sleeps 12

By the time I had finished changing and sorting my self out, the reception was well underway. As I entered the hall, I looked around but didn’t see the Emperor or Thrawn. I did see Shiv and Ynyth who along with Bobbyn were waving like mad at me to get my attention. As I made my way through the crowd to meet them I stopped one of the waiters handing out drinks.

“Do you have anything besides that fizzy stuff?” I asked.

“Yes miss, whatever you like, I can get you form the bar.” He replied politely.

“In that case I’d really like a Corellian double brandy kiss.” I said and with a nod he vanished to fulfill my drink wish.

Shiv was the first to comment. “There you are, we were about to send out a search party.” He said.

I grinned. “No need. I’m here. What did I miss?” I asked.

“Not much. It would appear that all the important people have vanished on some secret meeting and left us to fend for ourselves.” He said in a mock whisper. “What about you, what happened?”

“A little accident. I was not watching where I was going.” I said with a small shrug.

“Well, good that you keep extra clothes here, I guess.” Shiv said as he gave me the once up and down. “But the other dress fit you better.”

I nodded. “I know, but I kinda like the blue and all that pink does tend to make me feel like a china doll.”

“Did you hit your face?” Ynyth asked suddenly, the light catching the bruising starting show under the make up.

“I don’t want to talk about it. I feel dumb enough as it is.” I had hoped no one would really notice but my friends always did.

She looked at me and nodded. I could see by the expression in her eyes that she, like the others, thought Lord Vader had done this. He had hurt me often enough and left his mark on my face that it was an easy thing to assume. I did not correct them but something about my hesitation had alerted Shiv and he would not let the matter drop.

“It’s not like you to be clumsy; in fact you are one of the most graceful people I know. You wouldn’t be lying to me would you?” He said quietly, taking me aside.

“If I was would you understand that if something else had happened this is neither the time nor the place to speak of it?”

He drew a deep breath and nodded. “Yes, but you better fill me in later or else.” He waggled his finger at me. I just nodded and when the waiter came with my drink I took it from him gratefully and drank a large steadying gulp.

We kept the conversation light, laughed at the silliness we saw around us, made fun of guests and courtiers alike but if I had been asked what had been said I couldn’t have answered. It was a blur.

The reception was surprisingly well attended which meant that Shiv and Ynyth were busy making small talk with whomever came over and joined our little circle. Neither Bobbyn nor I minded being left to our own devices and for the most part we were quite content to just watch the crowd in silence. Bobbyn was always the quiet one but ever since Antygra’s arrest and execution he had withdrawn even further in to his shell. I never knew if he blamed me for what had happened to Tygs or if it was just that with Tygs gone the group dynamics had changed. I had been accepted as one of them only through Shiv’s insistence, Ynyth as his mate had backed him up and somewhere along the line we had also become friends after a fashion but I was Vader’s handmaiden, and no one really trusted me despite what appearances they gave. I didn’t mind not having many friends, it meant less hurt when one of them betrayed me.

It was easy to tell when the Emperor had entered the hall because the electrified quiet that washed over us made me shiver. I looked to the entrance and saw Lord Vader follow in his master’s footsteps. The hushed awe that had settled over the room receded slowly and soon the noise level was back to where it had been before the Emperor and his second in command walked in surrounded by a sea of red from the Royal Guard and the gaggle of colourful courtiers.

I was surprised to see Lord Vader in attendance because he had told me he would not come. I guessed that the Emperor had ordered him to show his face, so to speak, and this meant that Lord Vader would be in a foul mood. I made a mental not to stay away from him because the two of us in a mood was never a good combination. Despite the cheery happy face I was putting on underneath all the fancy dress and finery what I really wanted to do was hurt something. The last thing I needed was a reason and someone to goad me into it. Lord Vader had a knack for picking up my moods and he always knew how to needle me. I didn’t want him to try that in public, bad mood or not.

The Emperor, on the other hand, must have been a great mood because he was actually mingling, something he rarely did any more. There had been many rumours about this failing health. In the few public appearances he had made where I had been present I had noticed he seemed older, shrunken somehow, as though the use of the Force was consuming him from the inside out. I had often wondered what toll using the force as he did must take. I knew from my own small experiences that after it I was very weary. Everything was energy and all that energy had to go some where, my uncle had once said to me. The Force is energy, using it takes its toll, be careful how you wield your power lei’lei. I watched the Emperor carefully, looking for signs of illness or weakness but I saw neither and the power that radiated from him was as strong if not stronger than it had ever been. He moved through the crowd with exquisite grace, Lord Vader at his side a towering, clumsy nightmare, dressed in black to scare. I wondered how many would be scared of him if they knew what he had been before the mask? A reckless hero, desperate for the recognition and love of those too haughty, too blinded by pride, to give it to him. In many ways, I thought, he was still like this, looking to Palpatine for acknowledgement and praise. Despite all the evil he had done, I did not hate Lord Vader, the same could not be said for the shrunken old man at his side.

I was lost in thought when Thrawn, speaking with one of the Emperor’s advisors, made his way gracefully down the stairs that led from the entrance. He was elegance personified and I could not take my eyes off him. I was not alone; other heads turned to look at the blue skinned, red eyed alien whose favour came and went at the Emperor’s whim. I wondered what the courtiers would say if they ever learned the truth. They thought Thrawn was a puppet, a distraction of the Emperor's whose grace at court was tolerated only because he was good at battle tactics. I wondered if the Emperor even knew how deep Thrawn’s brilliance went, and who it was that was manipulating who. He moved with a languid ease through the crowd and my heart raced at the sight of him, though I did my absolute best not to show it. I watched him until he made eye contact with me, and wove his way to where I was standing. Shiv and the others decided that now would be a good time to give me a little space and drifted off into the direction of the buffet table.

Thrawn smiled when he reached me but it didn’t reach his eyes. “I distinctly recall you wearing pink when you left the flat earlier this evening, my dear.” He said quietly.

I nodded, returning smile with one of my own. “And as always, your memory would be perfectly correct.” I sipped my very strong drink.

He gave me a curious glance, the tone of my voice let him know that something wasn’t quite right. “Is everything in order?” He asked quietly.

“If we are talking about the pink dress rule, then yes.” I glanced over my shoulder and saw that Zaarin had finally made his entrance. He was too proud to retreat and it would have looked very bad for him, not showing up as all the other members of the Council of twelve were there and had been long before I had arrived. He didn’t look so well. I was glad.

Thrawn followed my gaze, watching me watch Zaarin. “The pink dress rule?” he asked, his eyebrow lifting slightly.

“Every time I wear a pink dress something bad happens to me.” I said lightly, glancing at Zaarin again from over the rim of my glass. His hand went to his throat often which made me smile.

Thrawn gave me a look which said ‘Explain!’

I turned my attention back to him. “I want you to do something for me.”

He nodded. “If I can.”

“I want you to smile and nod as though the conversation we are about to have is light and fluffy.”

“Merlyn, what is going on?” He asked, frowning slightly.

“Smile.” I urged and glanced around quickly to see where Zaarin was now then turned my attention back to Thrawn. “We are having a lovely time at this wonderful event but I will be heading home soon.” I said through clenched teeth. The flirtatious tilt of my head did not quite match the venom in my voice.

“Are you ill?” he asked.

“No, but I am angry. If I stay here all evening I might do or say something that won’t make anyone very happy. ” I chattered gaily. Then once again looked about to see where Zaarin was heading. Thrawn’s gaze followed mine and for a moment we stood in silence. Then I said. “This event is well attended, don’t you think? All the Grand Admirals are here, even Zaarin.”

“Indeed, although I am surprised to see him arrive so late.” Thrawn said. “I thought he would already be here, there was no Council of Twelve meeting before hand and he is neurotic about punctuality.”

“Well, maybe some fluffy distraction detained him.” I said cheerfully.

Something in my voice made Thrawn study me carefully. “What really happened to your dress?” He asked coldly.

“The dress was unfortunately damaged beyond repair.” I answered. It was the truth.

I watched the muscle in Thrawn’s jaw twitch as he clenched his teeth. “How?”

“Delicate fabric doesn’t tend to do well against brute strength.” I replied.

I knew when he had noticed the bruising I had tried to hide under the makeup because he frowned ever so slightly, his eyes narrowing, and reached over, moving my chin with the tip of his finger to see it better. I felt a ripple of anger from him. “Did you and Vader have a disagreement?” His voice was hard but he kept his expression neutral.

“I will answer that question of yours with a no.” I giggled, sipped my drink and glanced in Zaarin’s direction. “The Grand Admiral doesn’t look so well this evening, does he?”

Thrawn watched where I was looking but said nothing. From under dark lashes he studied the Admiral’s demeanor carefully then looked back at me. “Is he limping?”

“It would appear he has some sort of groin injury judging by his walk. Perhaps he pulled it trying out a new sport, a one on one sport that requires aggression and submission to work properly.” I bantered lightly.

Thrawn stared at me for a moment. It didn’t take him long to put it all together.

“Something happened between you and Zaarin.” His voice had gone flat.

I tilted my head to one side, “Nothing a good knee to his groin couldn’t solve.” I smiled sweetly.

“Merlyn, did he…?” He began.

“He tried.” I answered, cutting him off quickly from voicing his thoughts. I sipped at my drink.

I watched as Thrawn worked to maintain his calm. “Are you….?”

“I’m fine. I am a big girl and I can take care of myself against the likes of him. I’ll have some bruises on my face but nothing worth writing home about.” I said with a casual shrug. “Believe me, he didn’t get what he bargained for and he won’t try it again. He’ll be having… performance issues for a while.”

Thrawn turned away from me. I felt his anger came off him in waves. I watched as he drew a deep breath under the guise of flagging down a waiter. When he turned back to face me he had his emotions under control. I didn’t think that anyone else in the room would even notice that he was upset. He hid his feelings so well that even I would have not seen it unless I had known exactly what to look for.

“Shall I take you home?” He asked coldly as he touched his glass to mine and pretended to sip at his drink.

“No. I need to show him he didn’t win, which is why you need to smile at me.” I told him.

He did one better. Not only did he smile but he reached over and caressed the side of my face tenderly as though we were simply flirting with one another not discussing Zaarin’s attempted assault. It was a gesture that did not go unnoticed. I hoped that it would quell some of the negative rumours and maybe give the gossips something to talk about that did not lead in a Merlyn - Zaarin direction. I did not think it would be prudent for anyone to even imagine anything had happened between he and I, especially not the truth.

Thrawn’s hand slipped behind my hair, around the back of my neck and he drew me close to him, his grip unyielding, so that he could whisper in my ear. “You had better damned well be prepared to enlighten me in full when I return home.” He said, his voice was whip sharp and ice cold. “Now, Miss Gabriel, I do believe it is your turn to pretend everything is light and fluffy.” I had never know him so angry but he hid it remarkably well.

I pulled back from him and turned away shyly and pretended to smile even though his quiet fury had unnerved me. “You should mingle now, otherwise people will talk.” I told him nibbling on my pinkie finger.

He glanced at my trembling hands and said, “People will talk anyway. This evening appears to be rife with rumour, particularly about you and me. I did not know we had such an interesting private life both together and apart.” He replied with such disdain that for a moment I let go of the part I was playing to stare at him, hurt and angry.

Remember where you are, A’myshk’a.” He spoke softly in Cheunh.

I drew a deep breath and found my smile but it made my jaw ache. “The Imperial Court does love its intrigue.” I said in Basic. “But this keeps the gossips from digging up the real news from behind the scenes, so I don’t mind. Perhaps we can swap stories later on?”

He nodded. “Certainly I shall wish to hear yours.” He replied with a cold smile that went nowhere near his eyes.

I gave him a sweet, girly giggle. The strong drink I was slowly sipping helped me play the coquette. “Enjoy the rest of the evening.” I told him quietly and then I walked away from him without looking back.

I found my way to where Shiv was standing, laughing at something Ynyth had said. I joined in their conversation for about half an hour then I told Shiv I was going home because I wasn’t feeling so well.

“You do look a bit pale. Maybe that accident you had some more damage than you thought? You could stop by the med-lab on your way. ” He said.

“No, I’m fine really, it’s just a headache and I am quite tired.”

“Do you want me to run you home?”

I shook my head. “No, thanks you stay and enjoy the party. I’ll get one of the palace drivers to drop me off.”

“Okay, kiddo. I’ll talk to you tomorrow then.” He said and we all went through the kiss-kiss ritual.

I handed my still half full glass to the nearest waiter and meandered through the crowd to leave.

I was almost to the entrance when the Emperor intercepted me. Standing at his side was Grand Admiral Zaarin and several royal guards.

“There you are my dear,” He said. “I was hoping to see you here.”

I curtsied. “Your Highness. The dedication you gave earlier was lovely. The new wing is quite spectacular.” I babbled. I had hoped to avoid seeing Zaarin again so close, so soon.

“Thank you my dear.” He said. “You know Demetrius Zaarin, don’t you?” he asked, gesturing to Zaarin at his side.

I smiled as genuinely as I could. “Yes, we are acquainted with each other.” I said looking at the Grand Admiral. He stared back at me, his eyes were as cold as the smile he managed to give me. I could feet the hate coming off him in waves and knew that if I could sense it so could the Emperor. I shivered involuntarily.

“I was just telling Demetrius about your Bunduki skills and how well you carried yourself at the trials you last took.”

My smile stayed exactly as it was but my anger grew. “Is that so? I didn’t know the Admiral was interested in that sort of thing.”

The Emperor smiled. “Demetri commented on what a delicate little thing you are. I merely told him that looks could be deceiving, you are quite talented.” He said.

“As always, your Highness is very kind with his praise.” I said demurely.

“Oh come now, child, you have done very well in your training. Your skills in defense are to be admired and spoken of.” The Emperor smiled. Then he turned to Zaarin and added. “She was challenged to a death match and killed her opponent, even though she had a punctured lung and a dislocated shoulder. Our Miss Gabriel is really quite lethal, you know.” He said, “Goodness knows what she would do if her fury was truly unleashed.”

Zaarin glanced at the Emperor. “Oh really?” he asked. His voice was still a little hoarse. “One would never suspect such a thing of a simple office girl.”

“Indeed, as I said, looks can be terribly deceiving.” The Emperor said, with a wide, toothy grin.

Zaarin wouldn’t look at me directly and that made me smile a little more. “I have excellent teachers.” I said. “I owe everything I have learned to your kindness, your Highness.” I wondered what he would say if I suddenly dropped the bomb that the Grand Admiral at his side really wanted to kill him and take over his place as ruler of the galactic empire. Then I wondered if that was something the Emperor already knew. It certainly wouldn’t surprise me in the least; he seemed to know everything else.

The Emperor chuckled. “Indeed, child.” He said. “Oh and speaking of looks, what happened to the pretty dress you were wearing earlier? I rather liked the pink, it suited you.”

“I had a little accident and the dress was unfortunately torn.” I said. It was the truth, sort of.

“Oh I do hope that it wasn’t anything serious.” He commented. “Did you hurt your face at the same time?”

I glanced at Zaarin before I could stop myself. He had the good grace to flush and look away. I smiled and then shook my head. “Your Highness’s concern is most touching but really I am fine, I tripped and stumbled, nothing to worry about.”

The Emperor patted my arm. “Then I am glad to hear it. I should be distressed if anything were to happen to you. I do so enjoy your company and your unique talents make you a valuable asset to my court.”

I could feel Zaarin's discomfort coming off him in waves and I was almost certain that the Emperor knew something of what had happened. I feigned embarrassment and glanced away shyly. “Your Highness is very kind.” I said.

“Well, child, I have other guests I must attend to, enjoy your evening. I make certain we have further opportunities to talk when I have more time. I shall let you know.”

“I would be honoured, your Highness.” I dropped another curtsey and smiled waited until he had left, with Zaarin at his side, then as quickly as I could I got out of the reception hall. I could not get home fast enough and the driver had broken several speed limits for me when I had threatened to sic Lord Vader on him.

In the quiet of the flat, I wondered as I stripped off the finery and ran a bath, why I didn’t just get on the nearest transport and get the hell off this planet. It was a question I had no answer for.






2 comments:

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Getting off a troublesome planet is good; you need to do that!

merlyn said...

yep I really do, you are absolutely right, but .....theer are people I would really miss and besides one doesn't generall quit one's job when one works for Lord Vader...